- The cognitive ability to select and analyze specific information and ignore other information arising from a vast field of internal and external stimuli.
- Attention is one of two forms of conscious awareness.
- Peripheral awareness is the second
- We pay attention to some things, while simultaneously being aware of, but not attending to, others.
- Attention isolates some small part of the fields of conscious awareness from the rest so that it can be identified, interpreted, labeled, categorized, and its significance evaluated.
- The function of attention is discernment, analysis, and discrimination.